Modest Mouse is a rock band from Washington state. They’re not quite one of my favorite bands, but they come pretty damn close.
Everyone’s musical taste has a story. Here is a timeline of my relationship with Modest Mouse.
- Find “Good News for People Who Love Bad News” on ultra-clearance at the mall. Purchase with Christmas money.
- Hoot and holler while jamming to “Float On” in my car.
- Listen to “Ocean Breathes Salty” three times in a row. Feel exhilarated. Marvel at this song’s perfection.
- Hang out with an old friend. Find out he loves Modest Mouse.
- Jam with friend.
- (even though the friend is a real MM fan and likes the songs that I don’t like too much)
- Tell cynical college student that I like Modest Mouse.
- Get told by said cynic, “You’re not angry enough to like Modest Mouse.”
- (what does that even mean)
March… was like that period in a relationship where everything is smooth and nothing much happens.
- Fall in love with a cool guy who also happens to dig MM.
- Dance to “Sleepwalking” and “Dashboard” in his room.
- Begin the lonely part of my summer.
- Be consoled by listening to music. INCLUDING MM.
- Lots of driving for summer travels. Modest Mouse CD comes everywhere with me.
- (so i don’t have an iPod in my car, get over it)
- Start hangin’ out with a summer coworker.
- Bam, Modest Mouse comes on in his car.
- DING DING DING this friendship is clearly destiny
There you have it. How Modest Mouse came into my life.
I’ve encountered many jams, as well as a few cringes when their songs get a little weird. More than that, the last three people I’ve really clicked with have all been MM fans. I guess a kickass rock band doesn’t have to be one of your favorites to be the soundtrack of a piece of our life.
ps- Three outta four of the songs I linked here have official music videos. I’ve never seen them until I linked to them here; I’m impressed! They’re great! Creative, without trying to be deep. I bed Isaac Brock had a lot of fun starring in them all. :)